My husband and I have things that we say to each other that no one else would be able to decipher (which in some instances is REALLY a good thing). In fact, some of the things we say would probably make the guy behind us in line at WalMart scratch his head and go, “HUH?”.
I think it’s cool when married people have that kind of connection. If you’re married or have been in a relationship with your SO for a long time you know what I’m talking about. You have ways of communicating with your spouse/SO that make sense only to you. A glance, a smirk, a wink or a nod…something almost imperceptible to an outsider, but oh-so-meaningful to you. You point and he knows exactly what you’re pointing at and why you’re laughing so hard!
Here are some of the phrases my hubby and I say to each other that might make you scratch YOUR head.
- “See how it feels, Otis!”
- “Bullshit yeah!”
- “Now do you know where Hitler was coming from?” (This TOTALLY DOES NOT MEAN WHAT YOU THINK!)
- “Oh my eye!”
- “My shoe!”
- “Give me kisses, hurry up!” or just “Hurry up!”
- “Why don’t you go look at oil!”
- “We don’t have that kind of capacity!”
- “I’m going to spend some quality time with Meter.”
- “I need an Al.”
- “Ala ala hoo hoo”
- “Poor kid, it’s so sad that he’s all washed up!”
- “Yeah, but what’s HE doing playing hockey?”
- “Still spading?”
- “Still training?”
- “Nutty’s nest is ready”
- “That’s what I neeeeeeeeed!”
These phrases may not mean a thing to you. If they do mean something to you, they probably don’t mean the same thing as they do to us. That is the beauty of living with someone for a long time. You know each other so intimately that what is jibberish or ridiculous to others is a meaningful conversation to us. One word can say so much.
I love that I have this kind of relationship with my husband…and that he knows exactly what I mean when I say, “Why don’t you just go…look at oil!”